Regular performance of leg raises can help to strengthen the lower back and therefore reduce the risk of injuries.
You will need a mat to lie on for this exercise and some people who experience lower back pain may want to pop a towel under their lower back area.
Lower abdominals, hip flexors.
LEG RAISE VARIATION
This can be performed on a bench as well as the floor and once you have mastered it you could add a weight by holding a dumbbell between your feet.
HOW TO DO A LEG RAISE
- Lie flat on the floor (on a mat) place your arms out to the side on the floor with your palms facing down.
- Make sure that your head, legs and bottom are all in contact with the floor.
- Engage your stomach muscles and grasp the sides.
- Slowly lift your legs to a 90-degree angle, keeping your legs straight and not bending at the knees.
- Pause for a second then slowly lower the legs back down.
DOWNLOAD OUR MOBILE APP
You can track your progress with our new mobile app which is available for iPhone, iPad and Android phones and tablets, and is available now in the app stores.