BENEFITS OF THE SQUAT EXERCISE
Squats are an excellent exercise for training the lower body and core muscles, if done regularly they help to define thighs and buttocks.
You can do squats anywhere as you are only using your own body weight.
They can improve circulation, posture, digestion and are a low impact exercise that almost anybody can do.
Squats are primarily a lower body exercise and works out the following muscles; quadriceps, gluteus maximus, hamstrings, hip adductors, hip abductors, gastrocnemius (calf), soleus, tibias anterior, rectus abdominals and erector spinae
STEP BY STEP GUIDE
- Stand tall with your feet hip width apart and your arms down by your side
- Start to lower your body back as far as you can by pushing your hips back and bending your knees and pushing your body weight into your heels
- As you are lowering into the squat your arms will start to raise out in front of you for balance
- Keep a neutral spine at all times and never let your knees go over your toes
- The lower body should be parallel with the floor and your chest should be lifted at all times not rounded.
- Pause then lift back up in a controlled movement to the starting position
If you are new to squats try not to squat to deep at first until you are used to the movement as practice will bring more flexibility
If you are advanced try the squat with a dumbbell in each hand but keep them down by your side instead of lifting above the head.
DOWNLOAD OUR MOBILE APP
You can track your progress with our new mobile app which is available for iPhone, iPad and Android phones and tablets, and is available now in the app stores.